STORY HIGHLIGHTS


UN chief condemns Afghanistan attack

CNC
Added On July 16, 2014

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday strongly condemned an attack in eastern Afghanistan, which left 89 people dead and scores of others injured.

Tuesday's attack which came at a time when the muslim community is celebrating the holy month of Ramadan, is the worst single attack so far this year.

A statement issued by Ban's spokesperson said that the attack on civilians in the eastern province of Paktika was "a despicable criminal act."
 
"The Secretary-General condemns in the strongest possible terms today’s attack in south-eastern Afghanistan. The attack on civilians in Paktika during the holy month of Ramadan is a despicable criminal act, which killed and injured many innocent people, including children."
 
The blast took place at midday Tuesday when a suicide bomber detonated a truck packed with explosives at a busy market in Urgun district of Paktika.
 
Reports said 89 people died and 40 others were wounded, making it the deadliest insurgent attack on civilians since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion.
 
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
 
Paktika borders Pakistan's tribal areas including North Waziristan, where the Pakistani military are in the midst of a major offensive against Taliban militants.
 
Hundreds of fighters are believed to have fled across the border into Afghanistan.