STORY HIGHLIGHTS


Israel-Gaza conflict-fighting resumes after truce collapses

CNC
Added On July 16, 2014

Israel resumed air strikes in Gaza on Tuesday, warning thousands of Palestinians to leave their homes in order to stay safe.
 
The warning came after Hamas rejected an Egyptian ceasefire proposal by firing dozens of rockets over the border.
 
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the Jewish State now has no choice but to step up the offensive.
 
A surge in hostilities as air strikes resume in Gaza...
 
Israel made the decision to renew its airstrikes on Tuesday, after Hamas failed to adhere to an Egyptian-proposed ceasefire.
 
As the strikes resumed, at least three Palestinians were killed, raising the Gaza death toll during the eight days of violence to 196.
 
The attack is said to have destroyed the home of Mahmoud Zahar, a top Hamas political leader who is believed to be in hiding elsewhere.
 
After refusing the ceasefire, the Islamic group, Hamas, continued to launch barrages of rockets toward Israel, resulting in the first Israeli casuality since the start of Operation Protective Edge last week.
 
As violence simmers, Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday, issued a new warning.
 
"Hamas leaves us no choice but to intensify or rather expand the operation against it and so we will act until we reach our goal to bring peace back to Israel while striking the terrorist organizations."
 
During the press conference, Netanyahu did not mention a ground offensive, but Israeli Defense Minister said Israel has become determined to carry out the campaign by any means necessary to stop the rocket fire from Gaza, - whether it be "by air, sea or land".
 
On the same day, Israel deployed a third new Iron Dome anti-rocket system, bringing the total number of the country's operational air defense batteries to ten.
 
As tensions mount, the Arab League held an urgent meeting to formulate a unified Arab stance over the Israeli-Gaza conflict.
 
The Cairo-based organization described the Israeli strikes as war crimes and urged regional and international parties to "save innocent lives and put an end to the bloodshed".
 
"One more time, the world stands helpless in the face of this brutality. The world stands powerless in front of a prime minister who says that pressures of the international community will not stop him from moving forward to assault the Palestinian people."
 
The Arab League said it had formed a ministerial committee "to head to the United Nations and demand an end to the Israeli aggression".
 
Also on Tuesday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused Israel of "systematic atrocity and state terror" against the Palestinians since 1948.
 
Erdogan said "no country in the world, except Turkey, can stand against Israel's internationally unlawful attacks". He warned that those who commit brutalities will pay the price.