STORY HIGHLIGHTS


German president dismayed by "murderous" attack in Munich

CNC
Added On July 23, 2016

BERLIN, July 22 (Xinhua) -- German President Joachim Gauck expressed his dismay after the attack in Munich with at least nine deaths on Friday night.

"The murderous attack in Munich shocked me deeply," Gauck was quoted in a press release of the Presidential Office.

His thoughts are with the victims and all those who were mourning or fearing for a loved one, it said. "And I feel connected with all that are in operation in order to protect people and save lives."

"Our thoughts are with the victims of the attack, and even with the police officers who are defending our freedom and security," also said Peter Altmaier, head of German Federal Chancellery, to German ZDF public television on Friday night over the attack in Munich.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is kept informed, Altmaier said, adding that competent ministers are on the way to Berlin. "We will discuss the situation tomorrow in the German federal security cabinet."

Meanwhile, as German media Zeit Online reported, German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere has canceled a trip to the United States immediately after the shootout in Munich.

The number of the people died in a shootout in a Munich's shopping mall rose to nine, according to the latest update Munich police announced on their Twitter account on Friday evening.

After the police firstly announced eight fatal casualties on Twitter, they updated with another Tweet saying that the police is verifying the possibility of another dead person they had found "being involved in the shooting".

In addition, the policed confirm "several injured, whose number is not yet known yet" in a latest press release.

At the moment, no perpetrator could be arrested. The search for them is running at full speed, said the police.

A spokesman of Munich police said on Friday evening that the investigators assume three perpetrators, for whom the police is searching in the whole urban area of Munich.

However, the spokesman couldn't confirm rumors about the alleged death of a perpetrator.

The police called the shootout as an "acute terror situation" in Munich, as German news television N-TV reported earlier, citing an official announcement of Munich police.

Due to the still unclear situation, the police asked all people in Munich's urban area to stay at home or to search protection in nearby buildings.

The operation of the public transport system in Munich is currently suspended, according to the press release.

Munich police reported earlier that they were carrying out a large-scale operation in a Munich shopping center due to a shootout.