Typhoon Nida lands in south China's Guangdong

Added On August 2, 2016

GUANGZHOU, Aug. 2 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Nida made landfall at 3:35 a.m. Tuesday at Dapeng Peninsula in the city of Shenzhen in south China's Guangdong Province, the weather authority said.

The strong typhoon, packing winds of up to 151.2 km per hour, is moving northwest at 25 km per hour and is expected to sweep across the cities of Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Foshan and Zhaoqing to neighboring Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, according to Guangdong provincial meteorological station.

Nida has brought strong winds and rain to the eastern part of Guangdong Province and the Pearl River Delta region on Tuesday, the provincial meteorological station said.

This is the strongest typhoon to directly hit the Pearl River Delta since 1983, said He Guoqing, deputy director of the office of Guangdong provincial flood control headquarters.

Guangdong provincial government on Monday evening released a circular ordering the suspension of projects, businesses, markets, schools and transportation. Companies and organizations that do not provide critical services or urban operations were encouraged to close for the day.

All ships scheduled to end their fishing ban on Monday were asked to delay their departure and remain at port.

Nearly 200 trains were suspended Tuesday, including 180 bullet trains, according to a statement issued by Nanning Railway Bureau. Trains from Guangzhou to Nanning, capital of Guangxi, and Guiyang, capital of southwest China's Guizhou Province, were among those suspended.

On Tuesday afternoon, as Nida weakened, flights at Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport started to resume. However, as of 2 p.m., 31 flights which are scheduled to depart from the airport had been delayed for more than one hour.

Sources with the airport said more flights delays were expected.

Flights at Shenzhen airport resumed at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

Train services in Guangzhou and Shenzhen started to recover Tuesday afternoon.

All passenger ships across Qiongzhou Strait, between Hainan and Guangdong, resumed service at 1 p.m., according to the local maritime department.

As of Tuesday noon, no casualties had been reported in Guangdong, according to the provincial flood control headquarters.