US to withdraw from UNESCO by 2018 end

CNC
Added On October 13, 2017

U.S. State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a statement on Thursday that the decision reflected "U.S. concerns with mounting arrears at UNESCO, the need for fundamental reform in the organization, and continuing anti-Israel bias at UNESCO."

 
The statement added that the U.S. would seek to remain engaged with UNESCO as a non-member observer state.
 
Meanwhile, UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova said she "deeply regrets" the decision of the U.S. withdrawal. 
 
Bokova said it's a loss to UNESCO, a loss to the family of the United Nations as well as a loss to multilateralism. 
 
The U.S. stopped funding UNESCO after the organization voted to include Palestine as a member in 2011. 
 
Since then, however, the U.S. has still maintained a UNESCO office at the organization's headquarters in Paris.