Brazil presidential race heads to runoff

CNC
Added On October 9, 2018

VO

Brazil's presidential front-runners, right-wing populist Jair Bolsonaro and his left-leaning rival Fernando Haddad, will head to a run-off later this month. 

*** 

With 96 percent of the votes counted, Brazil's top electoral body Superior Electoral Court released the result, adding 91.2 percent of votes are valid. 

The electoral body said Bolsonaro garnered 46.7 percent of the votes while Haddad secured 28.4 percent. 

Center-left candidate Ciro Gomes came in third, winning 12.5 percent of the votes. 

Geraldo Alckmin of the Brazilian Social Democracy Party garnered 4.8 percent. 

Voter turnout was 79.7 percent, or more than 112 million out of some 147 million eligible voters cast their ballots, leaving the abstention rate at 20.3 percent. 

Voting is mandatory in Brazil.