Trump dismisses report to planning sending troops to combat Iran

CNC
Added On May 16, 2019

 U.S. President Donald Trump has dismissed a New York Times report, which says U.S. top security officials are reviewing a plan to send 120,000 troops to the Middle East to counter Iran.

 
Calling it fake news on Tuesday, Trump told reporters at the White House that his Administration had not prepared for this course of action. 
 
He added that hopefully his administration are not going to have to plan for it. And if they did, they'd send far more troops than 120,000.
 
The New York Times reported on Monday that acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan had presented an updated military plan to the Trump administration's senior security officials. The plan envisions sending up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons.
 
The report said the updated plan, which does not call for a land invasion of Iran, was ordered by hardliners led by National Security Adviser John Bolton.
 
Over the past few weeks, Washington has ratcheted up pressure against Tehran with a series of sanctions, designations and military threats, following Washington's year-long campaign against Iran after U.S. exit from the landmark Iran nuclear deal in May last year.
 
In response, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced on Wednesday Tehran's withdrawal from complying with the restrictions of the Iran nuclear deal on the country's enriched uranium reserves and heavy water supplies.