Pentagon chief: US to withdraw troops from northern Syria

CNC
Added On October 15, 2019

 U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has said the United States is planning to withdraw around 1,000 U.S. troops from northern Syria, where Turkish offensive against Syrian Kurdish forces has been underway.

 
Esper told CBS on Sunday morning that the U.S. discovered Turkish forces are likely to expand their attack further south than originally planned and to the west.
 
He called the situation "very untenable" as U.S. forces were caught between two opposing advancing armies.
 
The Pentagon chief said he spoke with President Donald Trump Saturday night and the President directed him to begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria.
 
But Esper did not provide a timeline for the pullout, only saying that the U.S. military would "conduct it as safely and quickly as possible."
 
Pentagon confirmed on Friday that U.S. troops in the vicinity of the northern Syrian city of Kobani came under artillery fire from Turkish positions earlier that day, while no injuries were reported.
 
Earlier on Wednesday, Turkey launched military operations targeting the Kurdish forces in several parts of northeast Syria after the United States started pulling out its troops following a recent decision.